May 19th - News

Me, Flying

Lots of News

Quite a lot is changing at Maling Kung Fu School in the next few weeks. Master Ning, our Tai Chi/Baji Quan teacher, is leaving the school to go home and "study more" but, from his own mouth, he said there isn't enough students at the school and he doesn't know if he'll come back. Then, next week Master Yan is going to be helping the kid summer school owned by headmaster Bao. He said once the classes start up he will be gone for 2-3 months. This means we lose a valuable Sanda coach and Xing Yi Quan master... which leaves us with Master Peng and Headmaster Bao. That's not all! Next week will be the last week for two classmates, Shilat and Terina, so our number is shrinking to seven students in total.

From what I've heard, Master Bao will be taking over Sanda and Tai Chi classes while Master Peng will teach us Basics and Forms. Power Stretching and Power Training will probably be done mostly by Master Peng. Just my thoughts on how things might be changing but we will see. I've also heard that Master Bao's training is really intense so that would be a nice change of pace. (Future me might comeback to hit me for that statement)

Just Having Fun, Thanks JD for the picture. Check out his work.

Yesterday was a fun day of kicking basics, some power stretching sprinkled in, and even some stance work. Our Forms Class was focused on completing the Yin Shou Gun (阴手棍) staff form, taught by Master Peng. Now that I know all of the moves, I realize how much I need to improve all of the smaller details within it. My next testing will be full of new things to show! Monday's Sanda Class included working on kicking combinations with the front leg and working on our side kicks... all of which I have no power in. I think I'm slowly getting better but not enough power to actually damage or hurt anyone.

Today's training though... was a lot of fun. Jumps and Rolls Class was full of springboard jumps. We first warmed up with various exercises and then we worked all the way from single leg jump, tuck leg jump, single leg kick, to the tornado kick. In between each move we would do some sort of exercise that would prepare us for the next move. Singe leg jumps? You would lift one knee, then jump and land on your single straight leg. We also learned the importance of small details like kick speed, arm positioning and landing correctly. We had two Jumps and Rolls classes today because Master Yan was out for the morning. During the second class we just did back flips, no one can do it yet but we're all making progress. 120 back flip attempts later, my "supporting partners" only have to use one hand to help me do the back flip. Maybe I'll be able to do one before I leave the school.

My lunch break was spent reviewing some of the jumps we did in class and I also reviewed Baji Quan since it was going to be my last class. Sanda Class was ran by Master Yan (he returned after lunch) and we focused on catching high kicks today. It didn't go well for me as my elbow and my foot got hurt in the process. I also wasn't able to do any of the takedowns fast enough or strong enough... even though my training partners were being very cooperative. I hope I'm good at something in Sanda one day. Lastly, Baji Class with Master Ning. We finished the "Small Frame" form and he taught me the applications of the moves. It was a shorter class because he could tell I was exhausted and I was his only student for that class. He did give me some wisdom though:

Master Ning Wisdom:

"Kung Fu is nothing, it is natural. When you train the form it should look like you are fighting someone. You should think you are fighting someone. When you fight, it should look like you are fighting no one. You're just doing you, not thinking about them. Thinking hides our natural, when we train we are trying to get this."

"When you're not tired, train on sending out your power. When you do these moves, send out your power. This will strengthen your tendons, ligaments, and bones. The power comes from the hip then you sink down to shoulder, to elbow, to fist."\

And that's how my week has been so far... how about yours?

Instagram... still there!

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear you are loosing some masters. I hope you still are able to get the training that you paid for since some of the offered classes no longer existed when you got there. As for lack of students hopefully that won't last forever, maybe things will get better as this virus gets knocked out and is no longer a problem. Just stay positive and keep on learning what you can and making friends along the way. Love - Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts