Comparing Kung Fu Schools

老中国的照片
Welp, this weekend has been a nice opportunity to relax, spend time with family and study a little bit of programming (though I've ran into a small problem while studying). As I prepare for the week by precooking rice, washing clothes and making a new grocery list I've been thinking about which kung fu schools I'd like to go to throughout my life but I really need a visual for what is different, according to the websites, about them.

All of these are about the same prices and some include similar things like 3 meals a day/ 7 days a week, room and board, ability to purchase gear and training.

Maling Shaolin Kung Fu Academy

A professional looking website and my top choice so far for my first Kung Fu school to go to. I like the size of the classes and the Mandarin classes but I also like after a year I get a uniform and two weapons included in my tuition.
  •  Xing Yi and Xu Zhou City are nearby
  •  Maling Mountain nearby
  • Shaolin Kung Fu, Shaolin Boxing, Tai Ji, Qi Gong, Sanda, Wing Chun, Ba Guan, Xing Yi, Liang Yi
  • 1 Year: Includes Shaolin Uniform, Staff and Sword
  • Mandarin Classes twice a week

Qufu Shaolin Kung Fu School

Another professional looking website and another top choice for my first Kung Fu school. I really like the idea of monthly testing but I do not like how big the school is.
  • Qufu City Nearby
  • Shimen Mountain Nearby
  • Shaolin Kung Fu, Wing Chun, Tai Ji, Mantis Boxing, Qi Gong, Sanda, Ba Gua, Xing Yi, Ba Ji Quan
  • Monthly Testing
  • Mandarin, Calligraphy, Massage, TCM, 

 

Dragon Mountain Martial Arts Academy

A decent looking website with what seems to be the "standard features" offered from a school but nothing too outstanding.
  • Rizhou City Nearby 
  • Shaolin Kung Fu, Wing Chun, Tai Ji, Qi Gong, Sanda, Xing Yi Quan
  • Mandarin Classes

Kunyu Shaolin Martial Arts Academy

A decent looking website with many optional classes offered and probably the prettiest looking area to train out of what I've seen so far. Also a nice selection of different Kung Fu styles.
  • Yantai City 1 Hr away
  • Kunyu Mountains
  • Shaolin Kung Fu, Wing Chun, Qi Gong, Tai Ji, Wu Dang, Xing Yi, Ba Gua, Baji, Mantis, Sanda
  • Mandarin, Taoism, Buddism, Calligraphy, Culture, Acupuncture, Massage

Xing Long Kung Fu School China

This was the very first website I found about Kung Fu in China. It offers a focused teaching on just Shaolin style but lacks the optional classes of others and its slightly more expensive.
  • Remote area of Jilin
  • City 40 mins away
  • Shaolin Kung Fu, Chin Na, Sanda, Tai Ji, Qi Gong

Yun Tai Shan Mountain International Culture and Martial Arts School

I found this later on in my research but this seems to be an actual Wushu University with hundreds of chinese and foriengers learning together. They train more than other schools but the optional classes are lacking. Seems less foriegner friendly.
  • Yuntai Mountains
  • Shaolin Kung Fu, Modern Wushu, Tai Ji, Qi Gong, Sanda
  • Mandarin Classes
  • 6 Days a Week Training 

Tian Meng Kung Fu Academy 

The last school that I found. A professional looking site with loads of different styles to learn, lots of cities are nearby. Though there are stricter rules here than at others. Happy a summer and winter uniform are included. Surprised at the student limit.
  • ZhangZhuang City nearby
  • Shaolin Kung Fu, Tai Ji, Wing Chun, Meihua Quan, Sanda, Wu Dang, Xing Yi Quan, Mantis Boxing, Ba Gua, Qi Gong
  •  30 students Maximum
  • Traditional School (Custom Uniform included, Stricter Rules)
Well, this certainly helps me narrow down my options but still there are some uncertainties as to which one I will finally choose. I still have months to decide which one I want to go to.

-Jonah

Listened to the Gorillaz and RHCP today.

Comments

Popular Posts